Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Helping the People of Haiti



When the earthquake devastated Port~au~Prince Haiti I wanted to contribute in some way. Seeing all of the destruction and pain in peoples faces on the news was scary. I wasn't sure what I could do to help. I watched the "Hope for Haiti" Telethon on TV and called in about 100 times only to hear a busy signal on the other end. As I was watching, I took note of the causes George Clooney chose to support with the money he raised. Oxfam International was one of them that I was familiar with, so I decided to help the people of Haiti through this organization, knowing their humanitarian relief track record was stellar.

I woke up the next morning I searched Etsy and found the site "Hearts for Haiti" which inspired me to sell some of my jewlery at
Modern Bird for Haiti relief. I am proud to let you all know that I have raised and donated $426 so far! Thank you so much to all of the wonderful people who chose to purchase jewelry from my shop because they knew that 100% of the proceeds would go to assist the people of Haiti. Your support does make a difference.

My Mom brought up a very good point to me when she said that giving in this way opens up more awareness to the cause. Instead of just privately giving, I hope that I have introduced people to Oxfam International and given someone an opportunity to contribute when they may not have known how they could help.

Peace to you all, thank you :)
~Laura

1 comment:

  1. that is wonderful! congratulations - and welcome to the blogosphere! :0)

    ReplyDelete